Sunday 10 June 2018

Planning a wedding

So, four years ago my honey proposed to me at the festival Tons of Rock. It was our 4 year anniversary, and we found the date two years later, on our 6 year anniversary. That gave me two years to plan and arrange everything.

A picture of us at the festival the day after we got engaged.
Since we both are nontraditional and not really religious, a church wedding was not for us. We found a stately recognized religious community asatro who could wed us, and the venue was a viking-age inspired farm. We wanted a small wedding with just our closest friends and family, and set the dress code to medieval and fantasy inspired. It was optional to dress up, and we encouraged people to use bunad or rent something or use whatever they had if they did not want to invest. The most important thing for us was that they could come and celebrate the day with us.

I recommend everyone planning a wedding to go to some of those wedding sites that has a lot of good tips to how you should plan the wedding. I made a budget, and a list of all the things I had to get sorted at what times. Like the venue, cake, photographer, the dress, all the accessories, a horse!!, a hotell, the food, my hair, the program, gifts, logistics etc. Some of those things you have to start planning really early, like booking a venue at least a year before! The dress usually takes 3-6 months to get done!! There was so much stuff to sort out, and I did most of it. I had a lot of help from my sister, who was also my maid of honor. I had to take the last week before the wedding off work, so I could get all the stuff left done in time for the wedding. I stayed up late every day, and got up early, and worked my ass off! I got some good help from friends from far away who came to stay a few days early, they got put to work! Even on my wedding day, I was multitasking, sowing some clamps on the back of my dress so I could hoist the train and fasten it up for the evening, while my sister did my hair.

Multitasking on my weddingday!

I made the table decorations by walking in the forest, picking up moss, twigs and pine cones. Together with some glass domes and led lighting from IKEA, I was really pleased with the forest faerie look. The placement cards was made of sliced wood and a marker. So it wast mostly for free, and I saved a lot on my budget that I could use on other stuff.

From the wedding, we marked all the little bottles with stuff like "love potion", "troll blood", "angel tears" and so on, and filled them with different colored water.
This was the test to show the venue how I would like it to look.


The placement cards all done and arranged for seating.

I made a program for the wedding, so people would get a sense of what was going to happen for the day. The ceremony is really different, witch involves everyone to make an individual toast for the wedding couple. And the menu for those who were curious.
The program for the weddingday

Despite all the planning, things does happen that are not planned, or someone does not do what they are supposed to, or something takes longer than planned. This will always happen, so just relax, enjoy the day, and everything will usually work out just fine anyway. After my intens week of planning and racing to get everything ready for the wedding, I decided to just enjoy my weddingday and have fun. The day flew by so fast, so I am glad I could focus on me and my husband and all our friends and family just having a blast!






No comments:

Post a Comment