Sunday 3 June 2012

Update on my eyes


This is me right after my surgery.
I can see! So I guess the surgery went well. I still can't see perfect, there is still some blurriness and haze, but all in all I can see better than before without glasses (or lenses).

The day of the surgery went by very fast. The surgery itself took about 30 sec on each eye, and did not hurt at all. There was a mild discomfort when the doctor put on the eyelid-holder on the second eye, but he paused a bit when I pointed it out (and my eye went rolling and eye-muscles twitching) and waited a minute more for the anesthesia to work before trying again. That, and some irritating and stinging eye-drops before the surgery was what hurt at all (and we are not talking really hurting, more like getting something in your eye that’s mildly discomforting). Immediately after the surgery I could actually see quite well, almost as good as with glasses, just a little hazed. Then I could go home, and got the surgeons mobile-number in case something felt wrong. I got pain-killing eye-drops to use the next two days, and tear-like eye-drops to use every 10 Min until I went to bed. Every 10 Min sounds like a lot, but I found that it was almost too long to wait, because after the surgery my eyes felt sore and dry. The eye-drops really were comforting, and I just waited for the alarm to ring every 10 Min to get to ease my sore eyes. I found it hard to keep my eyes open, like the muscles around my eyes were tired and sore, and I felt like a vampire when ever I saw light. So home we went, and into my dark bedroom to listen to the Nightside on audio-book, and drop my eyes.

I woke a lot in the night, feeling dry and sore, and my eyes were clogged together with dried stuff, so I had to really blink and drag my eyes open. Whenever I woke, I would use the eye-drops to ease my dry eyes, and then just go to sleep again. I was really afraid to rub my eyes in my sleep, so whenever I felt like it, I actually woke up! After a week I can finally rub my eyes again, I cant wait!

The next days my muscles improved and so did the light-sensitiveness, and by the third day after surgery I could finally watch my computer screen and TV. I had to really reduce the brightness of the screen, or all black letters on white background would get too blurry. I had spent my dark days listening to audio-books and sleeping a lot, I tend to get sleepy when I get bored.

Today is the fourth day after surgery, and I feel I can see fine, but still a bit blurry and hazy. I have extra large pupils when it is dark (over 8 mm) so I will get a bit of hazing around lights especially at night, but this is something I have noticed from using lenses also, so this does not bother me much. My eyesight will improve the next month or so, but usually it is good enough to drive within a week after surgery. I don't have much dryness either any more, but I keep the drops handy in case I feel an itch, since I still cant rub my eyes.

I hope this was informative to you, if you are planning to get eye-surgery, I know this is a bit different than if I was getting Lasik. I had my surgery at Synslaser in Oslo. To have a helping hand around the days after the surgery is invaluable, since being tired in your eyes makes cooking and finding things a bit tough. I have to hand it to my honey Espen for being a real trooper with doing a lot of the chores around the house, and being an excellent cook and butler for me. Thank you, honeyboo! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment